Monday, April 18, 2016

Southern Momma: Take One

A tidbit about me is that I am a croatian. Well, half croatian and half irish. Now you can see where my temper can come from and my determindness. My husband is southern. Almost as southern as you can get except that he doesn't like fishing or hunting. He doesnt mind a garden as long as he is not the one taking care of it. He loves all the southern things, from listening to blue grass music to eating a crazy ton of fried food, beer and soda. I have never fried anything other then schnitzel. I also work now with a bunch of southern ladies (which you really dont know southern hospitality until you have or were raised with decent southerners.). I have a lot of southern friends I would do anything in a hearbeat for. My in-laws though, they are very southern and it took a good while for them to warm up to me (my sister in law still hates me for the most part-that will come in a later chapter). Well, these lovely southern ladies inspired me to make more southern dishes at home. It was mostly successful. I've never made my own gravy before and the gravy I made was the best part!! It was so easy I couldn't believe it! I made country fried steak, mac and cheese and biscuits (biscuits and mac and cheese out of a box-come on, I'm not ready to that). My first steak I cooked I burned in the first thirty seconds (I was supposed to turn down the heat-obviously I did not on the first one) I was so upset....and I also didnt cut in half, which was also another mistake on the first one, thank goodness for gravy. After that mishap, I turned down the heat and put the other piece of steak in thirds and fried those and they came out beautiful. I made the gravy with flower , and milk and pepper, I only added a small amount of salt.

For desert, I made a peach cobbler out of a crockpot! It tasted amazing (and honestly went better then I thought it would). It was affordable to. 

If you want some realistic southern recipes visit: www.southernplate.com

That is where I got my country fried steak and gravy info from. Everything she makes, you either have or it cost less then ten dollars to buy. 

The crockpot peach cobbler is easy (I got it off of one of those facebook "how to" videos, but I'll list what you need). You need two cans of peach pie filling (I also couldnt see why you couldnt use another pie filling if you dont want peaches), I box of Vanilla cake mix (I only used two thirds of it) and 8 tablespoons of butter, if you want nuts on it, pour it in last (i used pecans) You open the cans and pour it in the crockpot, then pour the vanilla cake mix on top. Then you want to cut up the pieces of butter and layer it on the cake mix, and if you choose to add nuts, sprinkle that on top last. Put the crockpot on HIGH for 2 1/2 hours. It can range from 2-2 1/2. It was that easy! 

You better believe the next potluck I have to bring something too, I'm going to be bringing a crockpot cobbler! 

Through it all, my husband loved it! He ate everything (I hate the burned country fried steak). He even had seconds! I would call that a success. 

Maybe it isn't so bad being southern. 

P.S for a busy working mom, the Crockpot is my best friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment